Thursday, April 17, 2008

After going through such a long and hectic academic process and complaining and moping about it, I finally realized that I really am far ahead of many people in my group, which makes me feel better, but not any better that I'm going back to Fortaleza to to my ISP.
RECIFE is AMAZING!!! I can't get over how beautiful and historic it is. Recife has done an amazing job balancing the modern and the antiquated buildings of their city. Recife is actually divided up by a bunch of lakes and the main downtown is actually built on an island. It truly is stunning.
During our trip here we've visited so many NGO's. We went to Fé e Politica where we learned about faith and politics, and the next day we went on a three hour bus ride with them to the interior to see an city with indigenous roots. Race and identity is so different here in Brazil and it's interesting to see the cultural perspectives on it and to see that racism exists all over the world. We went to the small town of Aldeia do Povo Xukuro em Pesqueira built within the hills. Xukuru is the name of the indigenous tribe that used to inhabit the area. There has been a struggle for 500 years since the portuguese colonized the lands of the natives to reacquire all the lands that have been taken from there. Cacique led this revolution for the past 20 years and was assasinated in 1998. He left his children and his wife and one son that took up the lead of the struggle to win back these lands. While in Pesqueira we went to the burial site of cacique and it truly was a magical, mysterious and truly inspirational experience. We went with his widow as she led us to a pocket under the canopy where she got on her knees and wailed her lament in relgious hymn. It really sent shivers down my spine and I feel that everyone was moved by this moment. Shortly after we returned to her house where she gave us all a necklace as a lembrança and blessed us with the positive force of nature.
On the way back, everyone was amazingly rowdy and we had karaoke on the bus. We really have such a great group. Our repetoire ranged from Disney, gospel, german, Kenyan and to even portuguese versions of bob marley songs. After the karaoke ended, we popped in the Notebook and had relaxed the rest of the ride home, being awake for 17 hours is exhausting!
The next day we went to Darue Malunga where they teach traditional afro-brazilian dance classes to children of all ages and also provide an education for them. Working with keeping children off the streets through art and dance. They put on a show for us and it was breath taking!
I have found my passion.
I'm going to take a dance class at Oxy.
After lunch, we went to another organization called CERVAC. It was basically a treatment and rehabilitation center for the mentally and physically handicapped. They did some incredible work with swim therapy to help children with muscle problems and they even had a group of special students that even recorded a cd! They were so sweet, and it was pretty intense for me because it really reminded me of Chris and how I wish he had an opportunity to learn music or have an organziation like this. But we're so lucky because he's taken amazing strides advancing.
Today as our last full day in Recife we went back this morning to Darue Malungo to take a free afro-brazilian dance class. That was an intense workout, but absolutely amazing. We were taught by Ana Paula who has been dancing for 25 years and has travled to asia, france and south africa to learn and perform. She is amazing and so are all the people at the organization. (The other day when we were there they gave us tapioca. And if you don't know what it is, I will make you some when I get home.)
I feel so good after this morning and especially since I'm eating waaaay more vegetables than I would in fortaleza, but that's a different story.
I'm really glad to be going back home to my homestay family and I can't wait to cook them some Latino food. HOpefully I remember how to do it, otherwise it could become a little messy.
Tomorrow We're leaving at 11:30am to catch our flight to Salvador, Bahia where 70% is from African descent and they actually like spicy foods!! We spend two weekends in Salvador and I definitely plan to hit up the beaches there.
Did I mention that Recife has tons of Shark warning signs because they have such a high rate of shark attacks in their waters?
Yeah, I think I'll avoid Jaws.
Oh, and Dengue is realy a serious epidemic in Rio de Janeiro. If you can, please donate blood for the epideimic that is going on in all of Brazil. First yellow fever and now dengue. I have the yellow fever shot, but there is not shot for dengue. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best while living every experience here to the fullest.
I love and miss you all!!
Drop me a line and let me know how you're doing!

P.S. I didn't bring my computer to our excursion, nor do I have private internet access, so pictures will be uploaded once I return to Fortaleza, trust me I have tons!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

anaaaaaaaa! te quiero!
all of your brazilian adventures sound MARAVILLOSAS--seriously, the country sounds absolutely amazing and beautiful and your story about the widow who did her mourning song is incredible.
my program is going well and we are about to go on our excursions as well (i'm off to temuco on sunday)--since we're SIT too, i totally understand the stress and importance of figuring out your ISP. it sounds like, despite some annoying setbacks, you're going to have a fabulous project--are you thinking of using it for your comps? i forget what uep comps are.
anyway, abrazos y besos para ti from over here in chile!!! when do you start your O-COORDINATOR summer? can't wait for auguuuuuuuuust!!!!!!!!!