Monday, February 25, 2008

IBEU

Sorry for the weird post last time, I literally had like a line of 5 people waiting to use the computer...internet access is not so great here and I haven´t been able to locate an internet cafe near my house.
I´m finally in my homestay family in the neighborhood of Christo Redentor. My family is amazing! When I first met my mom she gave me the biggest hug I´ve ever recieved and I instantl felt welcomed into the family. I have a younger sister named Ana-Natalia who is about 18 years old and Arquilau (Who they call Gou Gou) and another younger sister Ana-Lissa who is about 10 years old. I share a small room with my Tia Daniele who is about 24 and then there is the rest of the extended famiy that are in and out of the home millions of times of the day.
Everyone here loves to play practical jokes and love to give nicknames to EVERYONE. We have a family friend whose name is Popo and Julia who´s name is Julia, we call her Juju and my tio Sergio wanted to try to call me Ana Banana...although I told him that I really didn´t like the name and he just laughed at me.
On Sundays, my family just likes to sit outside and spend the day just chatting it up with friends that just pass by. And they do all the time. There are about 6 SIT students living in the neighborhood and so I see them often too.
Slang...no direct translation. Uh oh...in portuguese, the hip word to say is Ligao. To say that something is cool. So I tried to explain that to them that the equivalent would be cool, but they all started laughing at me again. later on I asked Daniele what it meant and she said that it sounded like the work Cu which in portuguese means "ass" definitely not cool.
Yesterday I went with Stephanie and my host brother and sister and their friends to Praia do futuro which is the popular and also very touristy beach of the city of Fortaleza. The buses here are a NIGHTMARE. However compared to the US they have a much better system and compared to Nicaragua, much better maintenance (no holes in the ground sort of deal) It only costs about 60 cents to ride the bus (american) which is super cheap! We went to go to a Swingera Festa which is like line-dancing...but brazilian style. (And yes, thong bikinis do exist and they told me that if I wear my swimsuit which is far from that, I will instantly be pointed out as american) I have had some luck as being able to pass as Brazilian, muito ligao, nao?
I also had my first taste of caiparinha the offical drink of Brazil which was more of a refresher rather than a drink. because the place was PACKED! Crushed like sardines and everyone trying to shake their booty. We finally went home and ate Pastel, a fried pastry with meat inside sooo good, but everyone noted that I was exhausted and so was everyone else.
I have so much more to write about, but not enough time as usual. These people really keep us on our feet.
In between taking four showers a day, eating, school, homework and spending time with friends and family...there is so little time for internet. More of an American thing I guess.
I will write more soon when my thoughts are composed. I need to drink some more water because the sun near the equator is killer.
Tchau bellas!!
Drop me a line, and as soon as I locate the nearest post office, I will be sure to send out letters.

No comments: