Sunday, March 23, 2008

Long overdue

There is just too many things going on all at once all the time that I really don't find the time to write it all down, especially since my laptop stays at school and I really don't find the patience to sit down and write it all down. My mind works much faster than I can write...all the time.
So I guess last time I updated, I said that I was going to visit an MST settlement. It was an incredible experience, and although many people in Brazil don't believe in the movement, I still think it's crucial to move forward.
There are a lot of land issues here in Brazil, and MST (Movimento Sem Terras) is fighting to deconcentrate the huge land hold that only a handful of rich families own, and all of this land is unproductive. In better hands, this land could be farmed and feed thousands of families all over Brazil. It's ridiculous what these families have to go through, living in shacks made up of no more than black trashbags on the side of road for years just to get a piece of land to farm that would otherwise be lay to fallow.
Before we went to the city of Candide, which is sort of like a religious mecca for the surrounding area. They have this church where they pray for miracles, and if their wish or desire or dream comes true, they send in a photo which gets added to a huge wall composite of photos and a wooden carving of the body part that was healed is donated. It really is incredible and emotional to see the before and after photos of all of these people.
After Caninde, we rode on our bus to the MST settlement where the bus got stuck in the mud. We were in the middle of nowhere, 2 miles from the settlement in pitch black dark, where the final decision was to walk to the two miles in the mud, in the pitch black dark, and where we got our famous SIT quote from Jackie, "I did't sign up for the Amazon trip!" Luckily I and a few others had our flashlights. It was a very intense weekend, surrounded by intensely gorgeous landscapse and also a very important social movement that does not only affect Brazil, but many other Latin American Countries as well.
We got home and my legs looked diseased! I got bitten so much that it was unbelievable, and no one else got bitten my mosquitoes!! Like my mom says, I must have sweet blood. Ugh, why!!
Moving along, we came back for a few days of class and then we would be off for a few days for spring break. Technically semana santa, but it was our version of spring break. We were all working really hard to turn in our proposals for our research projects as its nearing crunch time. Oh no!! but we got through it and we were off to Morro Branco!
Morro Branco is a gorgeous almost pristine beach where we went away for 3 days and 2 nights. There were 13 of us that went out of 19 students total, it was an amazing experience to bond and share stories with each other. Basically everyone is crazy. The beaches here are marvelous as well because we had barracas on the beach and we could order food and just sit and then go for a dip in the ocean. (which by the way has warm water...it's really strange and odd and I really miss the icy cold waters of the pacific ocean) We stayed in MOrro Branco from Thursday to Saturday. ON Friday, we walked 4km to the next beach over Praia das Fontes where we were supposed to see some majestic waterfalls. When we finally made it to Praia das Fontes, we were told by a tour guide that the water falls were 2 hours away walking distance, so we gave in and rented a buggy to take us...except for the fact that the buggy ride was only five minutes, the water falls looked like mini faucets and we were not going to pay because we were lied to. So we used our awesome portuguese skills and negotiated with the drivers. We got away scott free! but we did have to walk all the way back.
All weekend we bought friuts, borrowed the blender from the restaurant and made our own tropical mixed drinks, and at night, when it was raining, we went to the beach for a late night dip. It was really paradise. and all for only about $70. The bus fare for a two hour ride was only $5!! I can deal with this. Oh, and did I mention that I'm getting used to drinking everything with a straw here?
I came back home 10 shades darker and with burnt shoulders. OUCH! but it was so worth it, and now my family says that I look like a true Brazilian! Haha, blending in = GREAT!
Today is easter and my family is preparing what looks like a feast. I have to go buy chocolate from my Grandma and eat lots of good food, ugh, what a life!
Aside from all the good things, there have been the bad. My friend Amanda's phone got stolen right out of her hand as she was waiting for the bus, there have been two murders in our neighborhood since we got here (drug and gang related) and a friend of ours almost got mugged by two 12 year olds with a gun. I try everything I can to remain safe, and that even means never going out by myself or without a brazilian, never carrying anything, and taking everyones suggestions to heart. One that has really worked for me has come from Jennifer: No matter where I'm walking, even if I'm lost, look like I'm walking somewhere with a purpose, even if it is to the next light post. I feel it has helped, and only talking in portuguese when I go out.
I really should go. I have a portuguese midterm tomorrow oral and written, and then Tuesday we start our community projects where we go there all week and bascially do a mock ISP project. This week looks like it'll be intense, but I feel will really help my portuguese skills.
I miss everyone so much, including vegetables and eating boiled yuca instead of fried. I also miss tortillas and mexican and nicaraguense food in general. I'm not going to say that I haven't been impressed by the food, but it is good though. The fruit drinks even more so.
tchau & beijos for everyone!!

No comments: